Semalt: How To Block Any Website In Google Chrome Without An Extension
Blocking a website(s) can be essential for most computer users. For instance, some people can decide to restrict children access to various websites. In other cases, you may want your browser to stay free from accessing some sites for a particular reason. In these cases, employing a strategy to keep your Chrome browser from accessing these sites can be a solution.
Igor Gamanenko, a top specialist from Semalt, will focus in this guideline on the Chrome browser as an example, but these techniques can also work on other browsers following a slightly different procedure.
Majority of the remedies available for this problem involve apps and extensions. In some cases, apps and browser extensions take up RAM affecting the performance of the computer. In other instances, extensions and apps can execute malware attacks as well as additional unauthorized access leading to loss of personal information. This SEO article contains the two best methods explaining how to block websites without applying for any apps or extensions:
1. Blocking Websites from Host File
Blocking website access from host file is possible. For a person using a windows computer, you can prevent websites utilizing this procedure below:
- Click the start button.
- On the search field that appears, type "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc" and hit enter.
- Right click and open the 'hosts' file using a notepad.
- Type '127.0.0.1' at the bottom of the document, then space and the URL of the website you wish to block.
- Do not put in the quotation marks available in this manual.
- It is essential not to include "http:" or "www" as you would want to block it regardless of the protocol.
- Save the document and restart your computer.
This method should succeed to block your listed websites from Chrome access. This trick may face some operating system compatibility issues. However, it works on Windows 7.
2. Blocking Websites on Chrome Manually
Some users may find the above method a bit technical to employ on their computers. In this case, they can use Chrome web browser itself to restrict website access. For instance, one can create a Chrome supervisor account for applying website filters. To create a supervisor account, you can follow this procedure:
- Open Chrome and navigate to settings.
- Under 'people' heading, click 'Add person.'
- Add the person to the setting "Control and view the websites this person visits" checked.
- From here, you can control the websites using your supervised user dashboard.
- Websites can be blocked from the 'permissions' menu in the 'manage websites' section.
While using the internet, there may arise some needs to restrict the access of a website from a browser. In these cases, people use different methods to limit the access of these sites from their browsers. Conventional techniques to restrict website access may involve installing extensions on the browser to perform this task. Other people use PC apps which help browsers limit visiting of some websites. These solutions have a drawback in internet security as well as computer performance. This SEO guideline has procedures on how to block websites using different methods. You can learn the manual techniques or block the access to a site from the Host File.